Despite it not really kicking into gear until June, it’s become obvious that this is The Year of Live Music for Ian and I.
It started off slow, with us just going to see The Features in January at Mercy Lounge. I saw Ingrid Michaelson with my friend/co-worker Irene at The Cannery Ballroom in May, but then Ian and I kind of found ourselves in a musical drought.
Until Bonnaroo, of course, where we saw a shit-ton of bands. One of which was Moon Taxi, who we discovered is from Nashville, so we made plans to go see them at the Lightning 100 Independence Rocks show that’s being held July 3.
And then things just started clicking. Without really even looking for shows to attend, we started realizing that a lot of bands that we really like are playing shows somewhat near us this year.
I’d bought tickets for us to see Tenacious D back in March, and that show was last night at The Ryman. (And despite them playing several new songs, it was a GREAT concert. The Brosephs in front of us deserve their own post, really.)
And then last week we just kept finding shows that we wanted to go to. So with The Features, Ingrid Michaelson, Tenacious D and all of Bonnaroo under our belts, here’s what we have to look forward to the rest of the year:
- Moon Taxi (and whoever else is going to be at the Lightning 100 concert)
- Fiona Apple (I’m going to this show with a small group of friends)
- Barenaked Ladies, Blues Traveler, Big Head Todd & the Monsters, and Cracker
- Pearl Jam, Florence + the Machine, Foo Fighters and the rest of Midtown Music Fest
- St. Vincent and David Byrne (I scored freaking front row seats at The Ryman for me and a friend for this show!!)
- Morrissey (This sold out in 15 minutes, but I was able to grab us two tickets before they were all gone)
Despite getting a late start, this is turning out to be a pretty bitchin’ year for live music. To say I’m excited would be an understatement.